Strawberry Crumble Pie
1 – 9-inch (23 cm) unbaked frozen pie shell
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely diced candied ginger
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cold butter
- 4 cups (1 L) sliced Ontario Strawberries
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 tbsp (32 mL) tapioca
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each: ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Thaw pie shell at room temperature for 15 minutes. Thoroughly prick bottom and side with fork. Bake in 375ºF (190ºC) oven for 7 to 8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF (180ºC).
Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and ginger. Cut in cold butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Gently stir together strawberries, sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon into pie shell. Sprinkle Crumb Topping evenly over strawberries. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until strawberry mixture is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes or longer. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
Nutrients per serving
Protein: 3.5 grams
Fat: 14.0 grams
Carbohydrates: 64.0 grams